Sunday, January 20, 2008

Thoughts on Relationships

"Time flies when you're having fun but my clock stopped when my hand dropped from yours." -Benton Falls-

I have been thinking about relationships lately. Throughout my life I have felt I was always the one putting forth all the effort to keep a friendship going. These friendships are slowly fading out of my life and the ones that remain are ones I feel are well balanced in effort.

Realizing this and talking to a good friend or two about relationships has helped me understand that I just need to find a girl that is willing to put forth effort and prove to me that she wants me in her life. I want time to fly when I am holding an amazing daughter of God's hand.

I am not a man of many words. I think my actions speak for me. I am just waiting for a girl to return these actions and/or words of "I think you're quite dandy."

Last night I walked into a place of Japanese eatery. A beautiful girl caught my eye. She was seated with 6 or more friends of the female gender. My family was seated and she was in my line of sight. The longer I sat the more I wanted to go talk to her. I don't think I have ever in my life went up to a random girl in a resaurant and talked to her, let alone one with so many friends with her. Situations with lots of people make me uncomfortable. I decided to take a risk as she packed up her leftovers. It turns out she lives in Idaho and was just visiting so nothing came of the risk but it also didn't hurt. If anything it helped me realize that I need to stop being a little girl and take risks. How am I supposed to find someone that will love me for who I am, if I sit back and let girls pass in and out of my life without trying?

I had a new years resolution to go on a date, as in one. I have officially changed it to stop being a pussy and take risks =) So if you read this and want to help me, I welcome you giving me a little push ever now and again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry this is a long comment...

Around two months ago I was at church finishing up my calling when the bishop and I struck up a conversation. He asked if I was "dating", I answered honestly "no". He then asked me if I was shy and even went as far as asking me if I was "working down there". Haha, he was being very candid. I assured him I was working just fine but wasn't really the dating type. He then asked me to go on one date a week. I said that I would with little intention of following through. But for some reason the challenge stuck with me and before I knew it I had been out on several dates and suddenly had little fear of asking girls out. (I didn't used to think I was scared but in retrospect I think I was.) To be honest the first 5 dates were fun but nothing really came of it, there were no real connections. So I decided to quit. The day I decided to quit is the day I met Hillary. I suddenly found my self scrambling to figure out a way to ask this girl out. Long story short (too late) I went on one more date and finally found someone that I have a very real connection with.

Jonandy, you deserve the best. Go on dates but don't settle. Don't be overly picky but don't ask stupid girls out either. With me I just needed to stop thinking that every girl I took out was a possible girlfriend and simply get to know them.

I hope all else is well in your life. You should come visit Zack and I, if you get a little time off. love love.

Hop said...

I'll give you a push this weekend when I'm in town....pussy.

Greg said...

I tell you, all the fellas have to move to Idaho. haha. Dude, if I weren't married and if I were a girl, I would pay to run my fingers through your long, luscious hair. That is key, being ballsy. I had to get way outside of my comfort zone to go talk to Jacqui. You know what you gotta do.