Wednesday, March 5, 2008

American Gangster

I watched American Gangster tonight with a dear friend. During the movie I thought how rad it would be to be a true gangster, not those wanna be gang bangers, but like in American Gangster. As I drove home I continued to think. Two things came to mind.

First, I thought of how movies distort people's perception of life. Movies like The Holiday came to my mind. Life isn't like that, nor should it be. After seeing a good chick flick I want to fall in love like they do, but that's all bull shit. That's not how life is. This led me to think about the american dream which reminded me of a song by Benton Falls.

"we've waged this war since birth to cover up this earth with houses and roads now everything must grow expansion is our goal (extinction is our goal) now bolt these houses down plant these children in the ground now drive to work with blinders on where everyone has got two jobs and four kids and three cars and one boat everyone's chasing the same f'ing thing raise your head and brace yourself (raise your head you're someone else) now cry yourself to sleep upon your king size bed, with silk sheets credit buys you everything except love, except life, except this everyone's chasing the same f'ing thing"

I want children of my own. I want to raise them to be great people. Thinking about the rest of this so called american dream I realize it's not what I want. I never want two jobs, I could care less if I have a boat. As long as I have a car that get's me from point A to point B and have a roof over my head and food to eat I am just dandy. Life isn't about a super nice house or cars or anything else of the sort. Life is about giving, caring for others, not being selfish...It can all be summed up in 5 words, Life is about being Christ-like.

2 comments:

xaque said...

I love you. You are doing a great job in your life, because I honestly consider you to be one of the kindest, most Christ like people I know. You have made an impression on me and many others. For that I thank you.

p.s. I like that song too. you introduced me to BF

Greg said...

I love you too john. and Zack, I introduced you to BF thank you very much. Any who, it helps some what to have a fast car, you get to heaven faster with one.

I miss you and I will see you.